Symptoms of mucositis/stomatitus may include: mouth sores, white patches on the tongue, redness or irritation of the mouth and throat, pain when swallowing or the sensation of a lump in the throat, dryness of the mouth, tenderness or burning when eating spicy or acidic foods.
If these suggestions do not control your mouth sores, please contact your healthcare provider.
What can I do to minimize and cope with mouth sores?
- Eating a high protein diet will provide nutrients which may prevent and help repair mouth sores.
- Drink high protein liquid drinks such as: Carnation Instant Breakfast, Health Shake, Ensure Plus or Ensure High Protein.
- Drink eight glasses of liquids each day. A straw may make drinking easier.
- Eat soft foods such as: puddings, soups, frozen desserts, mashed potatoes, noodles and pasta.
- Frequently rinse your mouth with cool water, mint-flavored water, a mild solution of baking soda and water or Aloe Vera mouthwash.
- The following medications may be ordered by your physician to help heal and soothe your mouth: Stomatitus Cocktail, Xylocaine Viscous, Mycistatin, Mycelex Troche, Glycgel.
- You may want to apply pure liquid Vitamin E directly to mouth sores.
- Carefully prick the end of a Vitamin E capsule, and apply directly to the affected areas. This is sometimes helpful.
- Use a soft bristle toothbrush or swab to clean your mouth and teeth. Do not use mouthwashes which contain alcohol.
- Do not eat hot, spicy or fried foods. Avoid foods which have acid content, such as: oranges, lemons, grapefruit juice, V-8 Juice, orange juice, pickles.
- Limit alcohol, caffeine and chocolate .
Mouth Soreness Smoothie
Smooth Protein Power Shake
Preparation time: 10 minutes .
- 1 cup any liquid (milk , soy milk , rice milk, Boost, Ensure, Boost Plus, or Ensure Plus, or a generic version of one of these products); use more than 1 cup if needed to blend.
- ½ cup low-fat, plain yogurt or soy yogurt
- 2 tablespoons protein powder (any type)
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter or almond butt er
- 1 tablespoon canola, almond, or olive oil
- 1 banana
- Crushed ice (optional; can be added if a colder smoothie is desired )
- Measure and prepare solid ingredients.
- Place these ingredients in the blender .
- Add liquid ingredients to the blender.
- Blend all of the ingredients together to your desired consistency.
blending. Depending on the strength of your blender, you may need more or less liquid to make the mixture blend.
Per serving*: 831 calories; 90 grams of carbohydrates; 39 grams of protein; 35 grams of fat**; 4 grams of fiber ; 527 milligrams of sodium; 1,480 milligrams of potassium ***
* Made with Boost Plus, Ensure Plus, or a generic version of one of these products .
Calories and protein will be somewhat lower if made with milk, soy milk , rice milk, or another liquid.
** This recipe contains healthy fat from the canola, almond, or olive oil and the peanut or almond butter.
*** If you are on a potassium-restricted diet, this recipe may not be right for you. Ask your doctor or dietitian if you are unsure of your dietary potassium limits.